Cameron Mitchell Restaurants opens Budd Dairy Food Hall in Columbus, Ohio
Food + entertainment venue also hosts Hatch pop-up incubator space
Cameron Mitchell Restaurants opened Budd Dairy Food Hall in Columbus, Ohio. The new food hall, located in the historic Budd Dairy Building in the Italian Village, serves as a community gathering place and food incubator—the first in the city. Budd Dairy features nine chef-driven concepts and Hatch, a rotating pop-up space.
Food hall opens on Fourth Street, Italian Village
Hatch will serve as an incubator space where chefs can begin their entrepreneurial journey with the resources available from the Cameron Mitchell Restaurants (CMR) team. The historic Budd Dairy building, from which the food hall’s name is derived, pays homage to the milk delivery plant, founded by Simon T. Budd in 1894.and moved to Fourth Street in the Italian Village in 1916.
In addition to historic elements from the plant, including original tiles, wood, brick and terra cotta detail, Cameron Mitchell implemented modern-day features for safety. An iWave Air Purification System helps remove 99.4 percent of pathogens, allergens and other particles, including COVID-19, from the air, announced the restaurant group. The food hall will also make use of plexiglass dividers, social distancing protocols, QR-code ordering, and mask-wearing when not being served food or drink.
“Given the times, providing an incubator-like space to local chefs will help support and grow our restaurant community as they recover from pandemic-related-business challenges,” said Jeremy Hughes, Budd Dairy Food Hall general manager. “We also feel that food halls and pop-ups like Hatch are trends that continue to grow.”
Budd Dairy features chef-driven restaurant concepts
Partner chefs have helped bring nine concepts to the food and entertainment venue: Alphabetical Comfort Kitchen, Boni Filipino Street Food, Borgata, Cousins Maine Lobster, Cluck Norris, Modern Southern Table, Pokebap, Stauf’s, and Tacos Rudos. In addition, the Hatch pop-up and incubator will feature rotating concepts.
Here is the list of restaurant concepts as Cameron Mitchell provided it:
- Alphabetical Comfort Kitchen: Everything about Alphabetical Comfort Kitchen, from the bright color-scheme to creative puns for dishes, is distinctive. That was the vision owner Jordan Lamatrice had when he created the concept, featuring sandwiches, salads, soups and sides with unique twists.
- Boni Filipino Street Food: Boni introduces contemporary Filipino street food to Columbus through collaboration, passion and authenticity. Growing up in a small Filipino community, owner Krizzia Yanga is determined to replicate the family-focused experience for every guest. The restaurant has three main offerings including rice bowls topped with delicious, sautéed meats and veggies, fried spring rolls filled with traditional Filipino flavors and sweet and tangy grilled skewers.
- Borgata: Borgata is a family-run New York-style pizzeria, dedicated to providing delicious and fresh pizza ade from the highest quality local and regional ingredients available. The concept is co-owned by Ed Bisconti and Roz Auddino, who share a passion for food, both having served over 35+ years in the industry. Their menu at Budd Dairy will feature pizza, spicy sausage-stuffed peppers, meatballs, chicken wings and house salad.
- Cousins Maine Lobster: Cousins Maine Lobster brings customers an authentic Maine seafood experience and proudly serves 100 percent premium, wild-caught, sustainably harvested lobster from Maine. Kathryn Nuss brought the concept to Columbus by food truck in 2018 after learning of the brand on the popular show, Shark Tank, and it quickly established a loyal following around the city.
- Cluck Norris: Cluck Norris offers guests quality, fresh, flavor-packed chicken favorites. Josh Yosick is the man behind the chicken. The menu will feature flavorful, crispy chicken and sides that will satisfy any craving. The menu boasts chicken fingers, hand-battered and dipped to order, served with a choice of sauce. In addition, guests can choose between several handheld crispy chicken sandwich options and a Pig Tenderloin sandwich.
- Modern Southern Table: Modern Southern Table is a southern comfort food concept offering fried chicken, gumbo, mac and cheese and other southern classics. The journey for the concept began in the food court of Colony Square Mall in Zanesville, OH after Modern Southern Table owner Sadaya “Daisy” Lewis won the Food Network’s “Food Court Wars” in March 2014.
- Pokebap: Pokebap is a chef-driven, fast-casual, create-your-own concept. Its limitless combinations of fresh, high-quality ingredients and signature scratch-made sauces create the perfect poké bowl that can accommodate every palate and all dietary needs. Owner Seas Kim’s culinary experiences from Hawaii, along with his Korean-American background, inspired him to bring the Hawaiian staple to Ohio.
- Stauf’s: Stauf’s has been offering specialty coffee, pastries and teas to central Ohio since 1988. Under the leadership of Mark Swanson, the Stauf’s team is determined to provide the finest cup of coffee. From acquiring specialty grade green arabica beans to roasting exclusively on gas-fired drum roasters, all coffees offered are roasted locally by hand every day.
- Tacos Rudos: Inspired by a true love of Mexican Street Fairs, Tacos Rudos’ chef-driven menu contains a balance of comfort and innovation all served on a house-made tortilla. Team leader Ana Cruz understands what gives Mexican street food its authenticity and her team is excited to bring their favorite flavors to Columbus.
- Hatch: Hatch is a kitchen in Budd Dairy Food Hall featuring a rotating series of select chefs, giving them the opportunity to test new recipes and concepts, show off their passion and vision and increase awareness to spur future growth. The first restaurateur to occupy Hatch is The Cheesecake Girl.
Cameron Mitchell Restaurants powers 36 upscale restaurants under 16 different concepts, including the nationally acclaimed Ocean Prime brand.
Budd Dairy Food Hall, 1086 North Fourth Street, Columbus, OH 43201
About the publisher of this restaurant news site.